§ 265-703 EXEMPTIONS
§ 265-703 Exemptions
The following signs shall not require a permit. The sign area of the following shall not count toward maximum sign area requirements imposed by this Article.
- Public, Semi-Public, and Commemorative Signs and Monuments including signs established by, or by order of, any governmental agency; and religious symbols, commemorative plaques of recognized historic agencies, or identification emblems of religious orders or historic agencies.
- Signs indicating the address or name of a building up to two square feet for single family dwellings and six square feet for all other uses.
- One “For Sale” or “For Rent” sign is allowed per street frontage. Such signs must be removed within 7 days after the sale, rental, or lease has been accomplished.
- “For Sale” or “For Rent” signs on lots containing a single-family dwelling unit or zoned for single-family residential development may not exceed 9 square feet in area.
- “For Sale” or “For Rent” signs on lots containing principal uses other than single family dwellings may not exceed the greater of 32 square feet or 0.25 square feet of sign area per each linear foot of street frontage for the first 150 feet of street frontage and 0.10 square feet of sign area for each linear foot of street frontage for street frontage in excess of 150 feet. These area calculations must be based on the street frontage to which the sign is oriented. No such sign may exceed 150 square feet in area.
- One construction sign is allowed per street frontage during the time that construction or development activity is occurring on the subject lot, as follows:
- Construction signs on a lot bearing a single-family dwelling or zoned for single-family residential development may not exceed 12 square feet in area.
- Construction signs on a lot containing multi-family residential, office, institutional, public, commercial or industrial uses or a lot zoned for such uses may not exceed 32 square feet in area.
- Holiday decorations on private property clearly incidental, customary, and commonly associated with national, local or religious holidays are allowed, provided they are displayed for a period of not more than 60 days for each holiday.
- One sign per lot not exceeding two square feet with the name of a business operating as a home occupation on the lot.