590 Pittsburgh Mills Blvd
Annual hard-to-recycle event at Pittsburgh Mills mall coming this spring
The annual hard-to-recycle event will be coming up this spring at the Pittsburgh Mills mall.
Residents can recycle items such as televisions, computer monitors and other electronics either for free or for a small fee depending on the item.
The event, sponsored by the Pennsylvania Resources Council, will be held from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. May 11 in the Pittsburgh Mills mall parking lot.
The following items will be accepted at no charge: computer towers, laptops, computer mice, keyboards, home phones, cellphones, tablets, PDAs, servers, routers and modems, web and digital cameras, DVD players, VCRs, paper shredders, clock radios, stereos, microwaves, copiers, fax machines, scanners, zip drives, electronic cables, video game consoles, expanded polystyrene packaging material and compact fluorescent light bulbs.
The following items will be accepted with associated fees:
- All computer monitors – $20 each
- Televisions – $30 each
- Console or rear projection TVs – $40 each
- Printers – $5 each
- Alkaline batteries – $1.50 per pound
- Small freon-containing appliances like window air conditioning units, dehumidifiers – $10 each
- CDs, DVDs, VHS tapes & floppy disks – $1 per pound
- Tires (car/truck) – $3.50 without rims, $10 with rims
- Hard drive data destruction verification – $11.50 for the first drive, $3 for each additional drive
- Fluorescent tubes – $2 per 4-foot tube, $3.50 per 8-foot tube.
Residents can pay for the fees with cash, check or credit and debit cards.
The event has been held at the mall for about 10 years and typically draws a large crowd. It’s designed to take care of items that aren’t usually accepted in curbside recycling.
More information can be found on the Pennsylvania Resource Council website under the programs tab.HTR-Galleria-2019